Check out the simple
I developed to decode and display
Microsoft Safe Links
in a web page or email as the original URLs, making the links easier on the eyes
while preserving the enhanced security.
My intern positions at MSR/Azure and MSRA
have been filled, but feel free to reach out if you are interested in joining
a research project that applies ML/RL to systems and networking.
Michael Rudow, Francis Y. Yan, Ganesh Ananthanarayanan,
Martin Ellis, K.V. Rashmi
In submission; draft available upon request.
We designed Tambur, a novel forward-error-correction (FEC) scheme for
videoconferencing, which combines a theoretical construction of streaming codes with
an ML model that predicts the required bandwidth allocation. Compared with the FEC
employed in production by a commercial videoconferencing application, Tambur reduces
the decoding failures for video frames by 26% while
reducing the bandwidth used for redundancy by 35%.
Francis Y. Yan, Hudson Ayers, Chenzhi Zhu, Sadjad Fouladi, James Hong,
Keyi Zhang, Philip Levis, Keith Winstein
USENIX Symposium on Networked Systems Design and Implementation (NSDI),
, a free, publicly
accessible website that live-streams television channels and operates as a
randomized experiment of adaptive bitrate (ABR) algorithms.
As of June 2020, Puffer has attracted 120,000 real users and streamed 60 years
of video across the Internet. Using Puffer, we developed an ML-based ABR algorithm,
Fugu, that robustly outperformed existing schemes by learning in situ
on real data from its actual deployment environment.
Francis Y. Yan, Jestin Ma, Greg D. Hill, Deepti Raghavan, Riad S. Wahby,
Philip Levis, Keith Winstein
USENIX Annual Technical Conference (ATC), July 2018
is a “training
ground” for congestion-control research and has
assisted four schemes from other research groups in publishing at
and SIGCOMM 2020 (TCP-TACK
It also enabled our own ML-based
congestion-control algorithm, Indigo, which was trained to imitate expert
congestion-control algorithms we created in emulation
and achieved good performance over the real Internet.
- Applied Networking Research Prize
(for Puffer), Internet Research Task Force (IRTF), 2021
- USENIX NSDI Community Award (for Puffer),
- USENIX ATC Best Paper Award (for Pantheon),
- Award of Excellence, Stars of Tomorrow Internship Program,
Microsoft Research, 2015
- Outstanding Graduate of Tsinghua University
(lone recipient at my institution), 2015
- Outstanding Graduate of Beijing, China, 2015
- Merrill Lynch Fellowship, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- National Scholarship, China, 2014
- Silver Prize, Yao Award, Tsinghua University, 2014
- Tsinghua University Comprehensive Scholarship, 2013
- National Endeavor Fellowship, China, 2012
- Tsinghua-Baidu Scholarship, 2012
- Scholarship for Tsinghua Xuetang Talents Program, 2011–2014
- First Prize, National Senior High School Mathematical Olympiad, China, 2010
- First Prize, National Olympiad in Informatics in Provinces, China, 2008